Sunday 23 August 2015

Desiring Humility & True Worship? Reflect on God's Work of Grace



Severally in scripture, we see David asking the question, "Who am I, that you (God) are mindful of?"  Have you ever asked this question?  To be honest, many of us could have been written off long time ago if we were to go by worldly standards.  The mistakes we have made, the sins we have committed, the negative habits and attitudes that we exhibit, the shortcomings evident in our personalities, are but a few of the reasons why we do not deserve much according to worldly standards. 

David was fully aware of his shortcomings and in 1 Chronicles 28, we see him reflecting on who God is in light of his inadequacies.  Verse 4 states, "Yet the Lord, the God of Israel, chose me from my whole family to be king over Israel for ever.  He chose Judah as leader and from the house of Judah he chose my family, and from my father's sons he was pleased to make me king over all Israel."  Consider that God chose the youngest son of Jesse, a shepherd boy, with the least experience in battle (as compared to his brothers) to be King over Israel.  This was purely a work of grace and David understood that.

1st Chronicles 28 is written in the backdrop of Nathan's prophecy to David, which is elaborately stated in 2nd Samuel 7.  One of the highlights of the prophecy is that God promised that David's kingdom would endure forever.  What was David's response to the prophecy?  He went into a moment of prayer and in 2nd Samuel 7:18, David asks: "Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?  And as if this were not enough, O Sovereign Lord, you have also spoken about the future of the house of your servant.  Is this your usual way of dealing with man, O Sovereign Lord?  We see David awed by God and His unmerited favor.

Our blessings ought to humble us; not to puff us up with pride.  This is possible if we understand that a man receives nothing unless that which is given him from heaven (John 3:27).  David walked in this revelation and in 1 Chronicles 29:14 he says, "But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously (to the building of the temple) as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given only what comes from your hand".

Secondly, God was at the center of David's story.  He knew that without God, he was nothing.  David often bursts out into praise as he reflects on God: An example is 2 Samuel 22:33-37 which states, "It is God who arms me with strength, and makes my way perfect.  He makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to stand on the heights.  He trains my hands for battle, my arms can bend a bow of bronze.  You give me your shield of victory, you stoop down to make me great.  You broaden the path beneath me so that my ankles do not turn over."  I imagine that fellow kings and rulers would ask David, "What is the secret to your victory in battle, great prosperity and successful establishment of your kingdom?"  From David's documented prayers & songs, I believe his answer to his fellow kings always centered on God.

Our election to serve in God's kingdom is purely by grace and not on merit.  David was not Saul's heir yet God chose him to be king over Israel.  Solomon was not David's oldest son, yet God chose him from among many sons to be king over Israel.  In fact David acknowledges Solomon's fallibility in 1 Chronicles 29:1, "My son Solomon, the one God  has chosen, is young and inexperienced...."  Realise that God chooses the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, the weak things to shame the strong.  Most of us were not wise according to human standards, we were not influential nor of noble birth, yet God chose us (1 Corinthians 1:27).  Such election is not by error but by design: God's power is made perfect in our weakness.  When we are weak, then we are strong in Him (2 Cor 12:9-10). 
  
  • Have you recently burst into praise as you reflected on who God is and what He has done?  If not, you need to reflect more on Him & His works of grace in your daily life.
  • Does your reasons for success & victory center on God?  If not, you need to honestly examine your inner self for pride.

Make this prayer with me:
Lord, I pray that you may teach me to continually reflect on you and your works of grace upon my life. 
As I meditate on you, may I decrease as you increase in me.
May true worship spring forth from deep within me, as I set my mind on your unfailing love.
May you be at the center of my story, for you alone are my divine enabler.
Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment